A development plan is a customizable collections of goals. Goals can be based on competencies, like moving up to level 2 in Client Focus, or they can be general, like aiming to read five books. Employees can set due dates, involve their manager, and document their progress as they improve their competency proficiency and fill gaps in their profile.
In this article:
How plans are set up
A plan is based on a plan type, which determines the content, scoring, and rating of a plan. Within a plan type are goal types that determine the content, properties, and rating of goals. A plan type can also have goal groups to organize goals. You can customize your own plan type, or use one of our two defaults:
- Development Plan: For self-driven development. Has a one-stage cycle, no rating scale or scoring, one goal type, and no goal groups.
- Advanced Development Plan: For organization-wide employee development.
- Three-stage cycle: Set Goals, Ongoing Review and Feedback, and Final Review.
- Standard scoring: The manager selects a level from the Performance scale (Below Standards/Progressing/Developing/Meets Standard/Exceed Standards/Superior).
- Two goal types: Competency Goals and Rated Goals. The Rated Goals are custom goals that are rated using the Performance scale.
- Two goal groups: Competency Goals and Rated Goals.
Users can create their own personal plan and optionally involve their manager. Managers can create a development plan for their employees from My Team. For an administrator to assign a plan to another user and their manager, they need to dispatch a template.
Creating a plan template
A template is a reusable plan that can be dispatched multiple times. You can create a generic template that applies to multiple jobs, or a template that's specific to one job.
- Expand Development and click Manage Templates.
- Click Create Template on the top right of the page.
- Enter a name for the template. It's used as the title for all plans dispatched from this template until the plan manager edits the title.
- Select the Development Plan or the Advanced Development Plan plan type.
- To use this template with plans for multiple jobs, select the Generic option.
- Type in the name of a job in and select the job when it shows up in the drop-down.
- Click the Add New button and select a goal option.
- Point to the 3-dot icon at the top of the page and select Publish.
Dispatching a plan (template)
Only published templates can be dispatched.
- Expand Development and click New Dispatch.
- Select the Plans service. Select Development Plan as the dispatch type and click Next.
- Expand a group in the index and select a job. Select a template to dispatch. Click Next.
- Select the subject of the plan. To select a user that not assigned to the job, click Select users.
- Select the cycle to use on the plan and click Next.
- Select the manager. To select a different user as the manager, click Select users. Click Next.
- Click the pencil icon to edit a dispatch message. Changes only apply to this dispatch.
- Select Dispatch Now or click the calendar icon to select a send date and an optional due date.
- Turn on the switch for each group where you want to give access to the plan. Click Confirm.
- Click Finish Dispatch. If you selected Dispatch Now, your assessment is sent to the subjects and managers. If you selected a send date, click Unsent Dispatches in the main menu and you'll see your dispatch listed in the Scheduled for Dispatch table.