Jobs are easy to update because you can edit a new version privately while the current version remains visible to employees. CompetencyCore documents all of the changes you make to a job, so you can keep detailed records.
In this article:
How version control works
- Draft: All new jobs start out as drafts, whether they're created new or cloned. Only users with permission to Manage Jobs can see drafts.
- Published: Jobs that are ready to be shared in the organization can be published. This makes a job visible to users with the View Jobs permission. Published jobs are also available to associate to interview guides, assessments, and other activities.
- Draft Copy: Published jobs are read-only, but editing creates a draft copy so you can make changes. The published version remains visible to users with the View Jobs permission while you work privately on the draft copy.
- Previous Version: Publishing updates overwrites the original job, which is saved in Version History so you can keep track of changes.
- Archived: Published jobs cannot be deleted, but you can archive them to hide jobs from users and clear out your Jobs table. Archived jobs are still available on a separate page and can always be restored to their previous status.
Creating a draft copy
Open a job and click Edit to create a draft copy so you can make changes without affecting the published version. All of the options available when you're working on an original draft are available here.
While you work on the draft copy, all changes are saved automatically. You can always click Draft and select Published to switch back to the published version.
Publishing your changes
Click Publish to overwrite the published job with your draft copy. The original job is saved as a previous version.
Viewing previous versions
Each time you publish a draft copy, the previous published version is saved in the job’s history. To see previous versions, click the name of the job in the Jobs table. Then click the 3-dot icon on the top right of the page and select View History.
On the History page, you can see when the job was last updated and who published the update. The versions are listed in order of publication with the most recent listed first. Click the View version link to open a window where you can review the content.