Before creating an assessment, there's some content to set up and settings to configure:
Build job descriptions
When you create a plan, the first step is to select a job. Make sure the job is published so it's available to select.
Add competencies to jobs
If the job includes competencies, CompetencyCore will suggest these competencies to add as goals to a plan. Follow the steps in the Quick start for Jobs to set up your jobs and add competencies.
Link users to jobs through positions
Only users assigned to a position can create their own plan. For dispatched plans, only users in positions can be selected as a plan subject. Follow the steps in the Org structure guide to link each position to a user and to a job.
Create or customize a plan type
We offer default plan types you can customize, or you can create your own. Plans are based on plan types, which allow you to customize what's involved in a plan and to offer different types of plans on your site. Here are the decisions to make when setting up a plan type:
- Custom forms: What content should be included on the plan?
- Cycle: How many steps should the plan have and who can access it?
- Scale: How will the plan be rated and will it have a target?
- Scoring: Will each goal be worth the same amount or be weighted differently?
Goal types are attached to plan types. A goal type determines the content and rating of a goal. This allows you to create one plan with different types of goals. Just like plan types, goal types can have a scale and target for rating goals. Each goal type has a setting to allow associating learning resources and custom forms can also be attached to include extra fields.
To create your own plan type, follow the steps in the Create a plan type article.
Customize email messages
We provide default email messages that you can customize or you can create your own by following the steps in the Manage content documents article. Make sure to save new email documents in the Plans Dispatch Email Templates category. If you created a new document for an email, you'll need to select that document in Communication settings.
Follow the steps in the Manage content documents article. Make sure to save new email documents in the Plans Dispatch Email Templates category. If you created a new document for an email, you'll need to select that document in Settings. Go to Administration () > Settings > Plans. Scroll to Communication, make your changes, and click Save.
Manage plan settings
You'll find more customization options in Settings. Go to Administration () > Settings > Plans.
- Plan notifications: Users can override these defaults in their personal settings.
- Create development/performance plans from an assessment: If this is turned off, users with access to the My Assessments page can still create a development plan from an assessment. This setting just hides the option to create a development plan from the Assessment Complete page.
- Auto-create position: Users need to be assigned to a position to create a plan. If they're not, this setting allows one to be automatically added when they self-create their own plan.
- Private comments: Allow participants to make their comments private so only they can view them.
- Unlimited comment editing: Remove the one hour time limit on editing and deleting comments.
- Development/Performance plan types: Choose plan types to make available to users creating their own plans. Selecting just one hides this option from users which simplifies the creation process.
- Include peers and reports on development/performance plans: Offer the option of including peers and reports when users are self-creating a plan or dispatching a template.
- Modify cycle: Allow users to control access on individual plans. Regardless of whether this setting is turned on or off, stage due dates can always be modified.